Thursday, July 31, 2008

Go for mini-goals ...

Breaking down big projects into smaller steps is almost essential. I even would break them down to a daily to do list. I am so happy to see all the tasks ticked in my agenda .. then I know I am a step closer to my goal. Personally I am still struggling with a weekly of monthly goal, as I am really working from day to day. But I do review projects weekly, so I don't lose control. I would adapt my daily agenda to it.

Doing it on a daily basis, my agenda can be stuffed with things to do. I train myself to be so committed and disciplined, that I really go through the list and do the task and then I tick it off. Yes, I won't make the whole list for a whole day sometimes. How do you know how long it takes for some tasks? The answer for me is practise, just do it and you will see. I know I can spend 30min to write an email, because it is not my "speciality". But at least I did it.

My mini-goals for today are quite a lot of networking. This would include some "work" in ecademy and facebook. But this was done already this morning. And it is rescheduled in a couple of days, so I really don't procrastinate it. Another goal for today is, sending 3 birthday card, which means finding the right words for the right person. And I almost forgot how to write in german. For my PhD project I would like to start the analysis today, running the IntAct data for human interaction and filtering just the proteins out which I have in my list. Unfortunately, we have today our 2-hours labmeeting. For this I had to prepare a small presentation and this took me already more than 60min. This would be one example for failed time-management. Anyway ... it is all about failing forward ;o)

I wish you all an amazing day and make Magic :o)

No comments: