Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happiness ...

I just have written about it in my last Blog and completely failed in practising it. Yesterday I had to give a so called Monday Midday Meeting-talk, where the whole Institute comes together and listens to two speaker, presenting their work. But what can you talk about in 20 min, especially when you have a 3-years project. Anyway, it was my turn yesterday and YES, I was nervous. It was supposed to be my final PhD talk, so fingers crossed I will go without any talk until next April 8-)

So, having finished this talk with some technical issues, that were not my fault ;o) , I expected to be absolutely relieved for the rest of the day. But nothing. Really, I was almost down. I didn't see the achievement I had just completed. I didn't acknowledge any nice comments from colleagues. It didn't cheer me up. Instead, I looked straight ahead again, what is awaiting for me in the 6 months. What next obstacles I will have to manage. Why am I doing this?

Photo courtesy by Markus Brosch
Why can I not be just happy and celebrate a little bit? And just today I read in the ZenHabits blog from Leo the following words:
Happiness shouldn’t be something that happens to us in the future, maybe someday, if things go well. Happiness should be here and now, who we are now, with the people we’re with now, doing the things we’re doing now. And if we’re not with people who make us happy, and doing things that make us happy … then we should take action to make that happen.
I really have to learn to be happy anytime, and celebrate every little step that I make in the right direction.

No comments: