Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thoughts ...

During the last 2 days, I had meetings with several people about completely different things. But next to the actual topic we talked about I got something out of them, that makes me think now.

I spoke with an eMarketing Director about the use and improvement of SEO of a specific website. Maybe I was blended by the name of the position this person is holding and I should definitely remove this prejudice, but I am struggling now. Using a content management system, learning about a specific industry area and looking for the right keywords ... I don't really see the challenge.

Another meeting was about my presentation I have to give next week. My supervisor didn't like one specific part of my talk and I just didn't get it what he wants to see there. I felt like explaining nodes and edges being proteins and their interactions was too primitive. But obviously not. Networks and their utility in Molecular Biology ... for me .. it just jumps straight into my head. It is so clear for me. Why am I hesitating so much to go back to the basics? I am working in a research institute ... I mean cutting-edge research ... top research ... and I still have to explain the basics? My supervisor says, the audience is too broad. Still? Most of the talks and presentation I am listening to, I get the main idea and I understand them. Either is it developmental biology or stem cell research in kidney ... I get the main point. Do I really have such a broad background?

Then later the day I had a meeting with a CEO of a IT company and we chatted about moving website and how I would monitor it etc. And then he said something, which touched me deeply ... he said something like this: You have high expectations from yourself, so you expect the same from people you are dealing with. That's where you get disappointed in others so easily. I heard similar comment from someone else before, and I am surprised about this. Because we are going right now during a similar process. We set our goals and dreams ... and do action ... we want to be different

Yes, I challenge myself, because I get bored too easily, so I think that is a normal reaction. And yes, I am struggling with people around me. We don't have similar thinking anymore, and I don't want to go "back" to this thinking. I prefer to be out of the box. I think this underlines I really have to find people who are supporting me, who I can still learn from, people who challenge me, people who are out of the box ... I know where to find them ...

No comments: