Tuesday, September 30, 2008

4-days report

hhuuhhuu, yes, I did a bit of procrastination ... but I am back. Last week was just a bit too heavy. Just not enough sleep. All the motivational seminars and books are great, inclusive all the blogs I am following now, like ZTD, Steve Pavlina, Tim Ferris and so on ... and I agree ... set your goals and go for it ... and I am sure, when I have reached a certain level, I will have my 4 hours - week as well ;o)

The last weekend was one of theeesseee weekends, where I didn't know what I want. Especially regarding the PhD. I definitely have to step back from the computer, otherwise my mind is just blocked. During the last two days I did some research for tools and their usefulness. That is the biggest challenge. What the point of having a great application for network visualization made for Windows if all Biologists are using Mac (yes, I really mean Mac). So, my current plan is as followed. I would like to create a procedure (aka system) to establish the endosomal protein network:
  • Cytoscape - The visualization tool (I think); I am not into creating new plugins, there are enough out there, you just have to apply and adapt them to your own problem
  • FireGoose from Gaggle; it is a very interesting approach and definitely worth to explore; How to convince biologist about a RMI tool ;o)
  • PIPE - the latest clue from Paul Shannon; Have to emphasize the usefulness of it
  • DomainGraph (Cytoscape plugin); felt almost scooped after I saw the domain architecture; hope I can build up on it with them!
  • Cytoprophet (guess ... another plugin for Cytoscape ;o) ); not sure about this; draws a bit too many lines between the nodes, hehe
  • APID2NET - awesome plugin, great annotations and expansion for network
  • MCODE - getting the (maybe) interesting modules out of the network (or removing the proteins of the boring signaling pathways)
If I could bring all of them together somehow that would be great. Input and output values are of course quite different, but as I have told you already, that is pretty normal in Computational Biology. So, during the next days I will review these applications, test and validate them. And then fingers crossed I will be a step closer to my PhD. No other tools to check out, enough is enough.

Markus is finally back from his holidays. As usual he forgot to write me a postcard *sniff* But anyway, more pictures for me to present on my Blog. He did a good job again. Did we expect something else ;o)

Photo Courtesy by Markus Brosch
To actually get things done, I have set up a new procedure. I have a couple of projects running right now and it is quite challenging to keep up with all of them. So, I set up different levels of priority to them. My daily projects will be PhD and BoutiqueWineries (now being soooo close to be a stakeholder). The other projects as MyJuicer, Information Professionals and NetworkMarkting will be split over the week. Will see how it goes over the next few days, as networking still takes its time. Shall I reduce this a bit? Now, that I am soo well known, hehe. The Power of Web2.0 ... will see if I can use it somehow ... all in progress

@Stephane ... BKBH ... You can make it happen :o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank You Josefine!!

Very nice post, well done.