Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Habit 1: Collecting tools ... (24 & 25)

In all blogs regarding Habit 1 I only mentioned the analogue tools, paper and index cards. However, there is also the digital way to collect your ideas and tools. This could be your PDA, iPhone or any other kind of mobile. I agree with Leo here when he says that the analogue works much better and it is so much faster. It sounds somehow old fashioned but think about the time if you value it ;o)

I spent yesterday almost the whole at my desk at home working on several projects. In such case thoughts and ideas go straight into my agenda. During my one-hour PhD work I saw emails coming in regarding Boutique Wineries. I have to admit my attention span is not the best one. I can hardly work and focus on one project for a whole hour. So, I keep checking emails. But ... I don't switch projects like this, I just make a note in my agenda and try to refocus again. It works, but definitely needs more training.

Also during a small Skype session with my business partner Jodie in Kuwait, I make notes, when I feel this task will take me longer than 2 min. (famous GTD rule!)Today I will have one meeting with Anthony away from my desk, so we will see how I put things down. I also have to make some notes beforehand of the meeting to make sure that I really talk about everything I have planned to do. Also another PowerUp event tonight. Looking forward to meet all these like-minded people again. This meeting will touch another way of collect notes, as I won't have a desk and I will have my agenda with me. But also I will have my notebook with me ... ahhh ... too much choice, hehe.

No comments: