Thursday, September 11, 2008

Habit 1: Collecting during a meeting ... (day 18 & 19)

Being a PhD student, I have weekly meetings with my supervisor. Most of the meetings are great and make me refocus on to my project and finally to finish it. I am struggling to make notes during such meetings. There is no one who takes minutes. Being polite I am listening to my boss and look into his face. Making notes would interrupt all this. Who can write and listen at the same time. Maybe it is harder for me, because English is not my first language.

I am afraid these kind of meetings should be more interactive. When I put down some notes, they are either too short or my handwriting is crap. Finding the right keywords is a tricky thing. Not sure how to approach this issue. Someone out there with useful suggestions?


Photo Courtesy by Markus Brosch
What I have noticed is, that during the meetings with BoutiqueWineries, I could write down notes. Is that my old thinking, a habit to change? What I mean is, having a supervisor for my PhD and being a business partner make me behaving differently. I am still looking up and shut my mouth during the meetings with my supervisor. It is mostly not a real discussion, where on the other side during business meeting I give my opinion about specific issues or I come up with new ideas.

Maybe I should start to see my PhD as a another business, and the meetings as business meetings *think* Why not? That would fit more to the style of my agenda ;o) Hey, let's try this and keep making notes ... get it out of your head and down to paper ... it works for my business, so why not for my PhD

No comments: