Sunday, August 31, 2008

Habit 1: Get it out of your head ... (day 7 & 8)

... and onto paper, so you don't forget it. This is especially important during meetings. I am not saying write down everything that is said. When things come up you have to do, write them down, don't wait for the minutes after the meeting. And if it is only a phone number or an email address ... write it down.

I used my A6 notebook during the last meeting we had at BoutiqueWineries. Maybe it is a bit small for a meeting. I prefer to put down some issues quite detailed ... I have learned from previous experience. I was always thinking, yes, I will remember this. And then you do completely different things and the actual task got lost. It is not about being oblivious, it is more about getting your mind free of stuff. I can remember things pretty good, especially numbers .. but I have seen the advantage of an empty mind as well. I feel like I am getting more open for new things. I am not blocked as I am used to be.

Photo Courtesy by Markus Brosch
Of course I am still falling back to my old habit (and pride) trying to remember things for "later". Sometimes I pay for it and sometimes not. I can say after one week, I will keep my notebook and I will progress in changing the habit, to keep the mind clear.

No comments: