Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Relaxation

Do you know what that is? I had a look at wikipedia:
... a process or state with the aim of recreation through leisure activities or idling and the opposite of stress or tension ....
That is scary ... how do you do that? As soon as I have an idle time I feel bad. Ok, let's go through it one by one ...

Leisure activities ... *thinking hard* .. yes, I could update my stamps collection and my cross stitching project needs some progress as well. Or, I would like to do scuba diving again. I still think it was an amazing experience last year. What else could be leisure activities? Is learning a leisure activity? I would like to learn more about System Biology or Real Estate. I would like to read down all the books I have listed on my "want to read" list. Is doing personal development a valid leisure activity? I feel a bit overwhelmed with this question ... because I still believe doing what you love to do is not real stress. Correct me when I am wrong. Or did I just forget what it means to relax?

Photo courtesy of Markus Brosch
The term Idling just scares me. Idling means nothing to do ... how can that happen? It's like watching TV or should I say it's like watching a movie? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .... just imagine you sit on a couch and you just stare at a screen and something entertains you ... I don't understand this. Ok, there is a possibility that it can actually educate you and you learn something ... but c'mon .. most of this is just fiction ... so what for?

Stephane told me it is important so you actually stop thinking for at least 90min. That is a valid excuse for me ... but unfortunately movies have mostly if not always an effect on me, good or bad. Movies touch me, they can break my heart, make me cry, make me even think, they put tension into my body ... and that is not relaxation .... and what now?

How can I relax? What is relaxation? .... Help me to relax!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thanks for linking into my gallery ... how come ?

Secondly: although movies touch you, it is a form of relaxation. You forget for a couple of minutes/hours everything else and experience life *literally* in a different world. I do enjoy it, given it is a good movie. Some movies are just an art form you know - well - surely not all the mainstream stuff :)

I figured I need some relaxation from time to time besides my PhD studies. Just going out into town for a good (?) coffee and for an hour photo shoot pays usually off: I am more productive and more relaxed afterwards to approach the next challenges :)

Anyhow, you'll find a way!
All the best,
Markus