Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Job - part 2 and some adds

Ok, too many people asked me already what I am actually doing. Here and now I will try my best to explain it. Have a look at the protein database LOCATE . This database stores proteins of the organism Mus musculus (better known as mouse!) and can represent a lot of additional information, like transcription, location and other links. My task is it now to create a similar database but for the organism Homo sapiens (better known as human!). Behind this task are many little steps. First I have to check what kind of data I could use avoiding too many redundancy. I have to learn some tools, like Memo. I do some perl programming as well.
The first troubles I had was to get all the accounts to the machines I need. Let me forget about it, I have them all now and I can work at least. I am happy with it. Now I can handle 40.000 protein sequences and ca. 130.000 cDNAs (coding DNA sequences). I started one perlscript this morning and it wasn't finished when I left. I just hope that the power cut this evening didn't harm this process. Otherwise I have to start it tomorrow again. I aim for the next week to fill the database with all required data. That is a lot of puzzling work but I really do enjoy it!

I mentioned the power cut. Before sitting in the darkness of my room I decided to go skating along the river. At this suburb, Towoong, the power was ok. There is a great path with asphalt along the river to the city centre. I unfortunately forgot my camera (really sorry guys!). It was soooo great. First the skating, soooo relaxing. You know, just putting the hands on the back and then pushing the legs slowly right, left, right, left. The warm wind in your hair. Undescribable! Second, you should have seen Brisbane by night along the river. The path guides through the huge bridges and becomes a little bridge itself. What a view! That's really worth to see and to experience.

And finally some more pics. First our inimitable connection to the outside world! It works! ;)


Here three pics from our living room and the kitchen. Quite a lot of space. I like it.


No comments: