Monday, August 10, 2009

Simplicity

A simple lifestyle means for a lot of people being poor. I disagree with that. I am actually trying to simplify my life, so I can focus more on the things I love to do. What do I mean?

The main question is, What do you value more - money or time?. I go for time, because time it limited, money is not. There are endless opportunities out there to make, find or work for money. But that is not the case for time. Everyone has 24 hours for 7 days in a week the whole year, no more and no less. Therefore I am trying to reduce anything that just wastes my time, so I can better invest my time in other projects. How do I do that?

The one and only time killer for me is shopping, especially food shopping. Everyone who knows me a bit better, knows how much I suffer after the second row in a supermarket. There is no fun for me in it. So, I go shopping online. Most supermarkets here in Australia offer online shopping and delivery. As I am a bit allergic to preservatives, I have chosen www.myfruit.com.au ... they do delivery here in south-east QLD. I save plenty of time. I don't need to carry all the heavy fruits and veggies (not that I am buying chocolate or meat, *blush*). As I don't own a car yet and I am on the road mostly with my bicycle, I would have needed to go shopping several times a week. That's why I have chosen the online version.


Not only a time saver, but also a space saver are online documents, for almost anything. I love when my bank sends me an email about the latest statement (especially when lots of number in the right column). That will be downloaded and backed up on my time-machine. All good, no hassle with paper and binders. Of course you have to be organized. That makes things so much easier. Leo from ZenHabits is the best example. In his blog, he describes how to be as simple as possible. I would reckon you have a look.

To be simple means you have to be organized. Everything needs its place, no exception. I am not saying I am perfect in that. I can make it for some days, but then I discover myself being lazy. That means, refocus, thinking of the time it can save me and back to simple.

What are my other goals to be simple? Having a cleaner, would make my life a lot easier. First I would save some time, second I would love to be at my place and third no need to be bothered, because you know the cleaner will come this week. The other issue I have is transport. I spend a lot of time in trains and busses. Some kind of "beam me up Scotty" would be just awesome. Maybe a scooter would make me a bit more flexible. Although I reduced the "stuff" I have at my place, there are still some boxes that could go. Still looking what I could ebay or maybe just give to charity.

Organised as I am, now I will do the next step on my to-do list for today, setting up a resource page on www.informpros.com.

No comments: