Friday, August 14, 2009

Office phobia?

When do you know you just do too much?

Just this morning I felt sick when I was riding my bike. It’s not that I ate something odd, but already two days earlier I didn’t feel well in the office (maybe office phobia). Yes, I am under some kind of pressure. I put it on myself. There a plenty of projects I am involved in and I am setting up my own business, but I love it. My goals are big and I am getting closer every day. But what is the price I am paying for it?

1. I really prefer the presence of a computer near me than a crowd of human. Yes, that makes me quite anti-social, and …?
2. I don’t get gratification as often I sometimes would like to (I think that is common to all PhD graduates, ;o) ) I put in more time and money then I get out of it so far. But that’s part of the journey. This is also the reason why people prefer to be employed and fear the fact to be self-employed of having their own business. It can and will take years until you see some profit coming in. The vision and goals keep me moving.
3. This might be the highest price I am paying … health and lack of fitness. I find eating healthy quite time consuming. The preparation and especially the shopping are such time wasters. I don’t know why I should shop for 4 hours to have a meal for 10min. I’ve found an interesting e-book called “The Lazy Raw Foodist’s Guide” from Laura Bruno. This might be a good source of information. I haven’t read it yet.


4. The lack of fitness is only half the truth. I was committed to sport for maybe a couple of months. Just didn’t do anything the last 2 weeks. I still know how to run and I might be back in the gym next week. Not might be … yes I will be back :o) … I still have the goal to finish at least a half-marathon. So, let’s do it. One hour run in the morning should be doable.

Maybe as usual it is just a question of being organised. I am following GTD quite strictly and see some progress there. Maybe I just forgot to include some free time for me ...

Any other tips and suggestions are more than welcome.

No comments: