Tuesday, October 07, 2008

How to tell your PhD supervisor about the dark side ...

Tuesday - it was time for a meeting with my principal supervisor. We had several items to go through. It was a good re-focus and goal setting session.

The collaboration with the German research group will be treated first as helping each other. If there will be a publication at the end ... we will see. It will be now a big exchange of data and ID mapping. You might be already aware of my issue with the latter one. I just need to establish my own little knowledge base with all mappings possible and I am ready to go. I will contact the group in Germany still today. Fingers crossed it will be a fruitful team work.

Rohan also came up with that I might start thinking about what I will do after my PhD. Here it comes ... how do I tell my PhD supervisor, that I want to switch sides. I want to start my own businesses and become an entrepreneur. I am already in the process of doing it. Now the matter of conscience: Should I tell him the truth? I really hate lying. But how much will the truth affect the work with him during the last couple of months? Will he still support me as he did in the last 2.5 years. He is an awesome supervisor, getting just the best out of me. I am afraid to hurt him by telling the truth. He can be grumpy and he is Australian. Do you know what that means? ;o) 80% of all living things on this continent is toxic ... I don't want to end up like Steve Irwin. Please let me know if you have any idea how to go around this issue. I think I have to face it one day. The sooner ... the better? I don't think so. I will just have to chose the right words.

Goal setting with PhD supervisor
Photo Courtesy by Markus Brosch

The nerd in me

This morning I did some work on our Boutique Wineries database. I loved it. Tracking down the code where a specific issues had occurred. I went through three different cold fusion files, that were involved in this process. But the actual issue was in a stored Procedure. I've found it and I am very happy. Yes, it was a bit time consuming, but sometimes I love tinkering with something. I was happy that I still understand the system behind Boutique Wineries. I wish I had more time to do such things. The bigger projects will be outsourced and I just do the stuff I love to do. Conclusion ... finish the PhD successfully and the world is yours :o)

Happy birthday Jeremiah and happy birthday DDR

No comments: