Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thanks to Matte I had a great time yesterday in the northern part of Brisbane. She kicked me virtually in the arse out of the office into the aussie-world. We rent a car, the australien Holden, for one day.

Holden with automatic gears - just great
Matte had prepared a ToDo-List, a long one. If I remember we planned to visit 8 or 9 places. I was already shattered before we started. With me as a navigation system and Matte as a quite good left-side driver we found the way out of Brisbane to the Highway M1. This road led us to the Glasshouse-Mountain, near Redcliffe. There are several hills (200 - 400m high) placed just in a flat landscape.

Two of the hills seen from the lockout of Mt. Beerburrum
The famous Glasshouse Mountain
As you can see, it was quite cloudy at this day, but it was hot, very hot, and humid. We (more me actually) decided to go up to the Beerburrum Mountain, just 700m per pedes. What can I say? I was happy that I have survived it. It was extremely precipitous. Ok, we had just flip-flops and we left the water in the car. We were sweating like mad and had a nice apparentness being old and without any endurance.
The Glashouse Mountain taken from the driving car on the highway again.

Next stop was the The big pineapple in Yandina, north of Nambour. The entry can not be ignored. This big example is 16m high.

Matte lolling at the pineapple

I have a question for you. Where does actually a pineapple grow? Good question, isn't it? But why do we think actually a pineapples grows on palm trees? I was thinking so. But ...

Pic will come soon!!!

Yes, you see right. I couldn't believe it!!
Pic will come soon!!!

Did you know that it takes two(!) years for one fruit to be harvested? Something learned again!!

Ok, next stop the Ginger Factory, ca. 100km north of Brisbane. I always thought Ginger was something exotic. Matte and me made a tour through the factory and it reminded us of our most dreaded lesson at university -> Bioprocess engineering. I preffered the tasting, where we got Ginger beer. That was lekker!!!


Just on the other side of the street was a beautiful cafe. Freshly made cappucino, great. The first one I enjoyed without sugar!! Next to it you can find the Nut Factory. It was not so exciting, but we could try macademia-nuts differently prepared. (10 points for the one with chocolate!) But we saw Santa Claus!! ;)

The first time me in shorts next to Santa Claus!


Now we even went more north to Noosa Heads at the coast (ca. 140km far away from Brisbane). We arrived there when it was getting dark. But the sea was still great.

Pic will come soon!!!



In the background you can see a part of the national park of Noosa Heads. Martina and me had a nice walk along the beach until the Dolphin point. But we didn't see one of them neither a Koala. I don't mind. I had a nice day.

Now it was my turn to drive. I loved it. After 5 minutes you are used to it to drive on the left side. It is a bit tricky at the crossways, but I even made it in Brisbane.

Thanks Martina for this great day, even with our usual troubles at the beginning! ;)

No comments: