Monday, September 07, 2009

How to manage time

We have learned that time is meant to be the fourth dimension. However, it doesn’t seem to behave like the first three dimension. We can move forward and backward, left and right, up and down to discover space. But what about time? It seems to let us go only in one direction, no chance to go back to the past. Is that true? We can remember the past, but we can’t foresee the future. We can’t be 100% sure where we will be the next day.

That’s one reason why we don’t have subjects like space management. But there is a subject like time management. Space is unlimited (my believe, it doesn’t need to be true), but time is limited. Everyone has 24 hours 365 days in every year of his/her life, which is limited. There is an end. I believe that it should be taught at school, how to invest your time and not to spend it. It is well described in the book 'Wink' from Roger Hamilton. You can invest your money and get back more. The same is valid for time. Invest your time wisely and you will win time at the end. You will gain time for the things you love to spend time with, might it be family, hobby or traveling ... anything you wish.

Time flies ... (Photo Courtesy by Markus Brosch)
Back to the management of time. Are you spending your time or investing it? In a job you are exchanging your time for money .. so you spend time. You even lose time which you could spend with your family. As a business owner and entrepreneur, I have to chose wisely where I will spend or invest my time. I prefer to invest my time into my business. Smartly done, this will end up in systems that work for themselves and make money ... like any business should do.

Another way to invest time is exercising and eating healthy. You might gain some time to live longer. These years you can spend with traveling, grandchildren and great grandchildren. You don’t want to miss that!

I am currently sitting in the train going from my partner’s place to my place as I do it every week. Could be a quite time wasting exercise. Instead, I am writing my blogs, review emails or listen to educational audio books from Anthony Robbins or Dr John Demartini. I am learning and therefore investing my time. That’s the advantage of using a train instead of a car.

The time I spend on my bike every day going to Uni I see as a time waster. These are 40min I spend on the street without doing anything valuable. Yes, you can say I am doing some exercise ... but I am riding my bike for more than 20 years now .. and I actual don’t like it. Time waster. (Yes, I could make it more fun.)

But even I have times where can’t stand getting more input. Then I can do some exercise like running or gym or ... yes, I lost a bit the social part in me. I am getting used to watching movies at least once a week, but that is already challenging. Not really my thing. Might need to re-discover my hobbies ... I just love to spend my time in a smart way :o)

No comments: