Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Being a perfectionist ...

Do you know the 80/20 rule? Finishing 80% on a project is most of the time enough, the remaining 20% no one will notice. This would be perfection. Being a software engineer, the 20% could be making a nice code, e.g. for example with the right insertions ;o) .. and presenting the wealth profile 'Mechanic' I am a bit suffering with this urge to finish things 100% or even 110%. Being successful means to show progression, and not really perfection.

What I've learned from Zen To Do (ZTD) is just keeping things simple. But this means, one has to be organised. I am not lacking discipline, just a bit of organisation. I am working on it ;o) I made the mistake and kept all my emails for the last 3 years in my Gmail account. That means I had everything I needed at one place, useful when u work on three different computers, but ... ZTD is right, it is much easier to work with an empty Inbox, and Gmail doesn't have this feature. You can label the emails, which is great, but it is still everything in your Inbox and you won't see any progress when your projects include communication via email.

Boutique Wineries is such a project, completely email based, completely automatized which is amazing. I love it, and I love to work with Jeremiah and Jodie. We are just a great team. Yesterday we had a so-called BTW-session again. That means, Jeremiah and me are working on the database and on the website to improve the automatization and usability for customer, wineries and mainly us. For the evening I was invited to dinner. We had really great food and I had a good time. Don't ask me for the next morning, because we really had to practise some wine-tasting.

According my PhD ... yep, I received nice data from my collaborator Robert (MIT, Cambridge, US). Because I am in the process of mind shifting ... I enjoy going through ca. 8000 rows in a spreadsheet one by one and analyse the data *rofl* ... no, really, it will take a while, but it will give hopefully nice results.

I really want to blog a bit more and I hope to describe you a bit more about this process of mind shift. Why do I what? Sounds good? Then stay tuned ... hihi

Take care !

No comments: