Sunday, August 28, 2005

book review

I just finished reading the book 'Where Wizards Stay Up Late - The Origins of the Internet' which was recommanded from one of our lecturer. Ok, I read the german version 'Arpa Kadabra'. I have to say that this book doesn't inspire me at all. The story on its own is quite interesting. But the kind of writing did not let me forget the time. More the other way around, I became tired every time.

But: Honour to whom honour is due.
One of the IMP-Guys is Frank Heart. During the 25th anniversary party for ARPANET he gave a nice comment (in german only, sorry):

Das Projekt war beispielhaft für konsequente Forschung. Wir konnten unsere Ziele deshalt innerhalb so kurzer Zeit verwirklichen, weil wir eine kompetente Führungsmannschaft besaßen, uns nahezu uneingeschränkte Mittel zur Verfügung standen und unsere Arbeit verschont blieb von idiotischer Bürokratie, die sich sonst schädlich auf das Projekt ausgewirkt hätte.
These words in german administrative departments !!!! *hoping*

No comments: