Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Give people the courage to learn what they love

Recently I read a short article about James Marcus Bach and his book Buccaneer - Scholar. Firstly this resulted in that I added 2 more books in my ToRead-folder: James' book and the book of his father Richard Bach Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

One sentence caught my attention in the article:
He left school because his teachers wanted him to learn subjects that bored him, while they wouldn't reward him for learning more about the subjects he loved.

How many human lives have been misguided through the school system, setup at least decades ago? A handful of people decided about what you need to know or better, what you have to know to fit into their system. Students get "locked" away for 10-12years to be trained to be a good employee. The ones with smart parents get to see the world outside of the comfort box. These parents (friends or even mentors) show kids what is possible if they want to succeed in life. They train them with the right mind set.
I put myself on this journey a couple of years ago. I acknowledge that common sense is not that common and an open mind can change your life. My personal challenges are:
  • comparison with other people
  • self-confidence
  • being teachable
  • discipline to follow a system
  • and possibly much more
I would suggest to start with personal development as early as possible. Kids are born with an open mind. They believe everything you tell them. Just imagine you teach them the right things and the right mind set. Unfortunately, we limit and misguide them as soon as they are born. They can feel anger and they hear partners arguing. And that becomes a situation that is normal to them.
Changing the mindset later in life, as it happens to me right now, it cost you time and a lots of up and downs. It is worth it, but I wished I heard about personal development earlier.


You can't Believe in bHIP until You Believe in Yourself – Terry LaCore

No comments: