Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Law #1: Be Where People Are

This is Dr John Demartini's first law of successful networking
Since hermits often fail in business, get out amongst the crowds and start engaging in conversations. Few people will be coming to your house begging to get into your business. Maximize your exposure and make sure you have plenty of "face time" with people and do it often. Be where people are. That is where the golden pay cheques are in business.
This "law" also is my number one challenge but I can't go away from it anymore. Too many people now me already ;) As I am doing actively some networking here in Brisbane for a couple of months now, people start to remember me. Just last Friday, when I saw Dr John Demartini the first time live here in Brisbane, I met many people I knew from other events. But I also made new connections. Still, I am not confident yet with my elevator pitch, but I am getting there.

Meeting people doesn't mean have a lot of facebook friends. As John Demartini mentioned, it is about "face time". Have eye contact with people and see how they react to your questions and just listen. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. So, how much do you care?

It doesn't have to be about business at all? Find out their background. You will find plenty of different stories especially here in Australia. Find out why they attended this particular event and how they found out about it.

Yes, there is some kind of aggressive networking as well, and I am not particular a fan of this. "Hey, how are you? What are you doing?" and 10 sec later they ask for your business card and run off to the next person. What kind of impression should this give to me? Do you think I want to deal with this person's business? I don't think so, at least not straight away. Maybe I could teach him some lessons, hehe ...


You can't Believe in bHIP until You Believe in Yourself – Terry LaCore

No comments: