Friday, August 20, 2010

Networking - there are rules!

Since I left Uni, I am focusing on meeting other people. This is quite out of my comfort zone, as this means I have to talk to other people about topics I am not familiar with.
I have joined several networking groups and met definitely interesting people. But I also had the opportunity to the the Do's and Don't's at networking events. First I want to thank Jennie Gorman, she is definitely one of the trendsetter here in Brisbane when it comes to professional networking skills. I just met her once or twice, but she is the One!

Do's:
  • Be present
  • Be interested
  • Smile
  • Be professional/Be prepared
  • Follow Up and Refer
Don't's:
  • Give business card without being asked
  • Think it is all about you and your business
  • Look around when someone is talking to you
This list is just a rough guideline. That are the things I came across in the last couple of weeks. And I surely need to work on myself. Also, every networking event is different, I guess by intention. Some are breakfasts or lunches .. and some are just a come together. Personally I find it difficult to have a meal and network at the same time. On the other side I can understand that is for most people the best time to interrupt their daily work flow.

How to find the networking events? One of the best resources is meetup.com ... just in here Brisbane we have over 200 meetup groups. Surprisingly for me, facebook became a very good resource for events. And yes, you will meet and greet the same persons, but most likely there will always be someone new.

Have fun networking!




You can't Believe in bHIP until You Believe in Yourself – Terry LaCore

No comments: